#PayingHMRC#paymentsonaccount'Everyday Wardrobe'Alternatives to payment on accountBusiness expensesCan I claim a suit as a business expense?Can I claim for my lunch?Can I claim for pre-trading expenses?Can I employ people as a sole trader?Can I pay my tax bill monthly?Car expensesClass 2 NIClass 4 NIDeadline for registering for self assessmentEmployed and self-employed taxEmploying as a sole traderEmployment/ sole trader taxEstimating tax dueExpensesHairdresserHairdresser bookkeepingHome office expensesHow do I pay myself as a sole trader?How do I register for self-assessment?How do pensions work for self-employed people?How do pensions work for sole traders?How is a simplified invoice different?How much should I save for my tax bill?Is it a good idea to register for vat?Is my training course tax deductible?Keeping business recordsMileage allowanceMotor expensesNational insuranceNational insurance for sole tradersPaying taxPensions self-employedPensions sole tradersPre-trading expensesRenting a chair in a salonSales invoicesSales invoices detailsSalon bookkeepingSelf-assessmentShould I register for vat?Simplified invoiceSole trader allowable expensesSole trader business expensesSole trader expensesSole trader tax billSoletraderSoletrader self-assessmentSoletradertaxTrainingcoursebusinessexpenseTravel expensesVat registration?What clothing can I claim for?What details do I need to put on my invoices?What food & drink can I claim through my business?What records do sole traders need to keep?WorkclothesWorking from home - what expenses can I claim

For sole traders- How do I register for self-assessment? When do I need to register by?

When to register for self assessment?

You must register for self-assessment with HMRC if you need to submit a tax return & you didn’t need to for the prior year.  If you were self-employed as a sole trader and earned more than £1,000 (before taking off anything you can claim tax relief on), then you will need to file a tax return.

So what’s the registration deadline?

The deadline for registering for Self Assessment is the 5th October that follows the end of the tax year that the Self Assessment tax return you’re filing relates to.

For example, if the tax return relates to the tax year starting 6th April 2023 and ending 5th April 2024, you should register for Self Assessment by 5th October 2024. You can still register after the deadline, but you might be fined.

If you registered for Self Assessment and filed a tax return last year, you don’t need to re-register in order to submit this year’s return.



How do I register for self-assessment?

If you already have a Government Gateway account, then you can register by signing into it & adding Self-assessment to your list of services.


If you don’t have a Government Gateway account, then you can create 1 by following this link: 'Create a Government Gateway account'.  Click ‘Sign in’, then afterwards click on ‘Create sign in details’.


You should receive a letter from HMRC with your Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) number within 10 working days. You should also receive a separate letter within seven working days with an activation code for your business tax account. You can retrieve a lost UTR number or get a new activation code from HMRC if you lose either of them after they arrive.

Once you’ve received your UTR number and activation code, you can log in to and activate your business tax account. Once you’ve done this, you should be able to add Self Assessment to your list of services and file your tax return.






Do you have have some questions for me? You can book a Zoom call in with me here:

Don't want to pay for a bookkeeper to do it all, but don't want to go alone either?